Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Refurbishing my old Autoharp Part 3

I have been working at removing felt and putting the new felt on chord bars.  I started out tracing the original pattern on paper, but I discovered that it wasn't really necessary if I marked the bar carefully and followed the arrows for the V-cuts in the felt to recreate the gaps needed.  I have 6 done so far and have gained new confidence with each bar.



As I finish each bar I place it back on the correct posts, press the bar down and strum the strings to see if it sounds sour or sweet.  In other words that the right strings are ringing and the right strings are silenced or dampened.  So far so good.


Pressing down the bar and looking at where the strings should be free to vibrate.  Also checking that there is plenty of felt to silence the correct strings.  If the V-cut is too angled(to the obtuse side or greater than 90 degrees) you may allow a string free movement unintentionally.  So far there seems to  be enough felt in each spot to silence the strings properly. A 45 degree cut is about right.  If I make a mistake, I do have enough felt to redo a bar if necessary. 




A closer look at the felt and gaps.

Here is the link to the Oscar Schmidt website "helps and tips on replacing felt"   

No comments: